1. First, read Jefferson’s introduction from his Autobiography and the Declaration. As you read, underline words you do not know. Use a dictionary! Note any sections that are unclear to you.
2. Answer the following questions. Short answers are acceptable.
From The Autobiography
1. (339) A committee was appointed to draft a Declaration of Independence. Who authored the document for the committee?
2. (339) Which colonies voted against it? Which 2 colonies didn’t vote?
3. (340) Clauses that attacked the slave trade were cut from the final draft in order to appease which two states?
4. (340) He begins the Declaration with the stated purpose of giving “causes which impel them to the separation” of America from England. Restate this idea in simpler language.
5. “We hold these truths to be self evident; that all men are ____________ __________.”
6. “that they are endowed by their creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these are _____, _____, and _____.
7. (340) What is the purpose of government?
8. (340) Where does government get its power?
9. (341) “Governments long established should not be changed for ________ and ______ causes.”
10. (341) “When a long train of abuses . . . reduce[s] them to absolute _______, it is their _______, it is their ________ to _______ _____ such government. Duty is a key word. Why?
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.